Monday, August 6, 2018

Tax Deduction Tips & AdviceHow to Keep Vehicle Mileage Tax Records

Tax Deduction Tips & AdviceHow to Keep Vehicle Mileage Tax Records
Do you drive your car for work? I know I've
put a lot of miles on my car this year. Do you wonder how to keep a mileage log for taxable
miles? My name is Kristen Brand and I'm going to talk to you about how to keep a mileage
log for your vehicle. First off you've got to determine what kind of person you really
are. Are you the kind of person that does better with paper or with a computer? I know
that I sometimes do better with paper, so one way to do that is to keep a little log
book in your car where you can write the beginning mileage of your car everyday and then where
you've gone and then also show the ending mileage.

The reason you'll need to do this
is because the IRS wants to know your total miles driven and then also the percentage
of that that are used for business so you actually need to track both. The other thing
you can do is create an Excel spreadsheet to show the difference in those mileages as
well. Sometimes I can go back and look at my calendar and actually figure out how far
the driving distance was on my business miles and then keep track of it at a later point
in time. The key to this is really keeping good documentation to be able to justify which
percent of your car you use for business.

I'm Kristen Brand and that's how to keep a
vehicle mileage log..

No comments:

Post a Comment